A few helpful tips to keep in mind when picking your wardrobe for a portrait session
• Neutrals, beiges, white, gray or black work best in natural settings
• No large prints or logos
• Flowy fabrics look great!
• With one hour sessions there is usually time for an outfit change so be sure to bring a second look 😉
• Props can be fun to incorporate – books or anything related to your hobbies
• It’s often helpful to bring a tote bag to carry your phone, keys, purse, water bottle, etc.
• Click here to check out some locations in San Francisco and the East Bay that are great for photography sessions!
Or read on for more tips…
When choosing an outfit for a photography portrait session, here are some tips for women to keep in mind:
- Choose a solid color or a subtle pattern: Avoid busy patterns or bright colors that may distract from your face. Solid colors or subtle patterns can help to draw attention to your features.
- Consider the location and setting: The location and setting of the shoot can also influence what you wear. If it’s an outdoor shoot, you may want to opt for something more casual or flowy, whereas a studio shoot may require something more formal.
- Accessorize wisely: Accessories can add interest to your outfit, but be careful not to overdo it. Avoid large or distracting jewelry, and keep hair and makeup simple and natural.
- Be comfortable: You’ll likely be moving around and posing in different positions during the shoot, so make sure you’re wearing something comfortable and that allows you to move freely.
- Bring options: It’s always a good idea to bring a few different outfit options to the shoot, so that you can change up your look and get a variety of shots.
- Don’t forget about shoes: Your footwear is an important part of your outfit, so choose something that complements your outfit and is comfortable to wear.
- Consider the season: If it’s cold outside, make sure to dress in layers so that you can remove them if you get too warm during the shoot. If it’s hot outside, avoid heavy fabrics that may make you feel uncomfortable.
FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM
Emily was super easy to work with and very accommodating. This was our first time in the area and Emily was extremely helpful with assisting us in choosing the perfect location for our shoot. We enjoyed getting to know her as well as telling our personal story. I think she caught the essence of who we are as a couple and definitely memorialized this special trip for us.
Working with Emily was awesome! It felt so natural and I was at ease taking photos. She knew what she was doing and captured spectacular candid pictures throughout the night as well! She took fantastic pictures despite terrible weather and lighting conditions. 10/10 would recommend hiring her for your wedding! Thank you Emily!!
Emily did a fantastic Job! I somewhat planned my engagement on the Fly with about a week (or less) for her to prepare and she did a phenomenal job working with me and making me feel at ease In a part of the country I’ve never traveled to. She was able to stay in contact with me (secretly) up until about 1 min before I proposed which was a MASSIVE help. Super easy to work with, made it fun, was also very professional and I would recommend her NO DOUBT. Thanks again! You made an insanely stressful “operation” (haha) go incredibly smooth! Her photos were fabulous and turned out great! I honestly didn’t know what to expect!
Emily is an outstanding photographer! My husband and I hired her for our outdoor maternity shoot with our first born. Booking Emily was painless, and she was extremely easy to communicate with throughout the entire process. She suggested multiple beautiful locations to shoot. We met at a gorgeous nearby beach she suggested. To top it off Emily sent us our photos ahead of scheduled time. Overall, Emily is exceptionally professional, pleasant and creative. She is one of the best I’ve ever worked with. Book her for your next photography needs, and you won’t be disappointed!!
We hired Emily for our engagement photo shoot this past weekend and I honestly cannot recommend her enough! Not only is she super polite, kind, and professional, but she is also extremely talented.
She has such an eye for detail and is fantastic at helping pose her clients. We did our photo shoot on my cousin’s property and Emily was so good at picking spots and playing with the light and surroundings.
My fiancé and I were both completely out of our element, because we had never done a professional shoot before, but Emily made us feel comfortable, confident, and natural from the start and we completely love every picture we received! On top of all that the turnaround time for pictures was quick and she was very communicative from start to finish! 10/10, highly recommend!
Emily was amazing. She made my day easy and more special than I could have imagined. She’s sweet and knows what you want. She made her way around the family effortlessly. My family will definitely use her again.
Emily captured my wedding in a way I never thought was imaginable! We had a beautiful outdoor wedding, Emily was really able to use the natural light in our favor. (I love natural light) She came early to set up and was extremely professional! Emily was easy to work with and great with my family and guests. I love the way our photos turned out and would recommend her to anyone that I knew!! Thanks again Emily you’re part of the family now!
Emily pillon photography
San Francisco | Los Angeles | Worldwide
get in touch
Let’s chat about your project! I’m excited to hear more about your vision and how I can help bring it to life. Schedule a consultation today to get started.