A few tips for capturing your surprise proposal…
- Let her know in advance that you have a reservation, but keep the details of the proposal a surprise. This way, she’ll have time to dress up and feel special, without spoiling the surprise.
- If you’re planning to propose outdoors, make sure to pick a location that’s safe and accessible. Consider the terrain and the weather, and make sure she’s wearing comfortable shoes. Avoid proposing in areas that require climbing or are difficult to access, as this can be stressful and take away from the magic of the moment.
- Before the proposal, empty your pockets and hers of any bulky items like phones, wallets, and keys. This will ensure that the photos look great and you’re not weighed down during the proposal.
- Consider hiring a decorator to help you create a beautiful and romantic setting for the proposal. The Something Special Twins are a great option, but there are plenty of other decorators out there who can help you create a special and memorable moment for your girlfriend.
- Perhaps make a reservation at a restaurant before or after your proposal. This will make sure you are both on time and looking your best, and your partner will be camera ready without realizing it.
- Practice taking the ring box out of whichever pocket you will have it in. Also practice opening the ring box away from yourself – this will make sure that you are opening the box towards your partner and presenting the ring beautifully. Perhaps make a small mark or place a sticker on the bottom of your ring box to make sure that when you open it, the ring is facing upwards instead of dangling down and possibly falling out!
- Extra reminder to be conscious of the camera when you go down on one knee: try to make sure you’re not in between the camera and the ring.
- Very important: If you are choosing to go down on a knee (totally optional!) stay down for longer than feels normal. The longer you are on your knee, the more opportunity to have more shots of this moment. This also allows Emily to reposition themselves if they need to . Make sure to also take the ring out of your pocket before taking your knee. Then stand, and celebrate!
- Bonus points if you can discourage your partner from bringing a large purse/bag that can be cumbersome in a photo. Also for being able to remove any sunglasses or hats before or during the moment so that we can capture your expressions better.
- If your partner has longer hair and is the type to consult you about their hairstyle, encourage a style that gets their hair up out of their face. This is helpful because if they are looking downwards at you during the proposal, it can happen that hair blocks out the view of their expressions. Alternatively, try to help move your partner’s hair all to one side (opposite of the camera) so their hair falls behind their shoulder rather than covering their face.
- Don’t forget to practice what you’re going to say beforehand! While it’s important to be genuine and speak from the heart, practicing can help you feel more confident and ensure that you don’t forget anything important.
- Finally, take a deep breath and enjoy the moment! This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to show your girlfriend how much you love her, so make sure to savor every second. And don’t worry too much about getting everything perfect – the most important thing is that you’re together and in love.
A Few Other Things to Consider…
Proposing to your girlfriend is one of the most memorable moments in your life. It’s a moment that you want to capture and treasure forever, and having a professional photographer there to capture it all can make the memory even more special. In this blog post, we will explore how to surprise your girlfriend with a proposal and the importance of having a professional photographer to capture the moment.
The first step to planning a surprise proposal is to pick a truly epic place. Think about your girlfriend’s interests and what places would be meaningful to her. If she loves nature, consider proposing on a scenic hike or at a beautiful beach. If she’s into architecture, think about proposing in front of a stunning building or monument. For a list of San Francisco and Bay area locations that are sure to wow her, check out this link here.
Once you have chosen the location, it’s time to plan the proposal itself. Think about what you want to say and how you want to propose. Do you want to get down on one knee or do something creative and unique? Make sure it’s something that will be special to your girlfriend and that reflects your relationship.
Having a professional photographer there to capture the moment will allow you to relive the memory for years to come. The photographer can capture the emotions on your girlfriend’s face as you propose, the scenery around you, and the special moments after the proposal. Plus, it will be great to have professional photos to share with family and friends.
When choosing a photographer, make sure to do your research. Look at their portfolio and read reviews from other couples they have worked with. Make sure they understand your vision and what you want to capture. It’s important to find someone who is reliable and professional, so you can trust that they will capture the moment perfectly.
After you’ve planned everything out, it’s time to execute the proposal! Make sure to give yourself enough time to set up, and don’t forget to let the photographer know when and where to meet you. As you propose, try to relax and enjoy the moment. It’s a special moment that you’ll never forget.
Once your girlfriend says yes, you can reveal the photographer and take some beautiful photos together. These photos will be a lasting memory of the special moment you shared. You can even use them to create a photo album or canvas print to hang in your home.
In conclusion, surprising your girlfriend with a proposal and having a professional photographer there to capture the moment is a wonderful way to create a lasting memory. By picking an epic location and a reliable photographer, you can ensure that the proposal is everything you want it to be. So go ahead and plan that perfect proposal – your soon-to-be fiancé will love it!
FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM
Emily was super easy to work with and very accommodating. This was our first time in the area and Emily was extremely helpful with assisting us in choosing the perfect location for our shoot. We enjoyed getting to know her as well as telling our personal story. I think she caught the essence of who we are as a couple and definitely memorialized this special trip for us.
Working with Emily was awesome! It felt so natural and I was at ease taking photos. She knew what she was doing and captured spectacular candid pictures throughout the night as well! She took fantastic pictures despite terrible weather and lighting conditions. 10/10 would recommend hiring her for your wedding! Thank you Emily!!
Emily did a fantastic Job! I somewhat planned my engagement on the Fly with about a week (or less) for her to prepare and she did a phenomenal job working with me and making me feel at ease In a part of the country I’ve never traveled to. She was able to stay in contact with me (secretly) up until about 1 min before I proposed which was a MASSIVE help. Super easy to work with, made it fun, was also very professional and I would recommend her NO DOUBT. Thanks again! You made an insanely stressful “operation” (haha) go incredibly smooth! Her photos were fabulous and turned out great! I honestly didn’t know what to expect!
Emily is an outstanding photographer! My husband and I hired her for our outdoor maternity shoot with our first born. Booking Emily was painless, and she was extremely easy to communicate with throughout the entire process. She suggested multiple beautiful locations to shoot. We met at a gorgeous nearby beach she suggested. To top it off Emily sent us our photos ahead of scheduled time. Overall, Emily is exceptionally professional, pleasant and creative. She is one of the best I’ve ever worked with. Book her for your next photography needs, and you won’t be disappointed!!
We hired Emily for our engagement photo shoot this past weekend and I honestly cannot recommend her enough! Not only is she super polite, kind, and professional, but she is also extremely talented.
She has such an eye for detail and is fantastic at helping pose her clients. We did our photo shoot on my cousin’s property and Emily was so good at picking spots and playing with the light and surroundings.
My fiancé and I were both completely out of our element, because we had never done a professional shoot before, but Emily made us feel comfortable, confident, and natural from the start and we completely love every picture we received! On top of all that the turnaround time for pictures was quick and she was very communicative from start to finish! 10/10, highly recommend!
Emily was amazing. She made my day easy and more special than I could have imagined. She’s sweet and knows what you want. She made her way around the family effortlessly. My family will definitely use her again.
Emily captured my wedding in a way I never thought was imaginable! We had a beautiful outdoor wedding, Emily was really able to use the natural light in our favor. (I love natural light) She came early to set up and was extremely professional! Emily was easy to work with and great with my family and guests. I love the way our photos turned out and would recommend her to anyone that I knew!! Thanks again Emily you’re part of the family now!
Emily pillon photography
San Francisco | Los Angeles | Worldwide
get in touch
Let’s chat about your project! I’m excited to hear more about your vision and how I can help bring it to life. Schedule a consultation today to get started.